PAYMENT POLICY

When purchasing from any deal site the client agrees and understands that they must pay the value of the HST owing ONLY on their original purchase price directly to MGS. Any and all other outstanding amounts are subject to HST and shall be paid to MGS before the service shall be performed. In case of dispute the client acknowledges, and hold no harm to MGS and will deal directly with the deal site. With respect to any outstanding amount paid to MGS, only a credit will apply. Clients paying by Credit Card understand that in person payments are subject to a processing fee not greater than 3% + $0.15 transaction fee. Clients paying by Credit Card over the phone or any other method understand that the processing fee will not exceed 4% + $0.15 per transaction.

PAYMENTS

Visa, MasterCard, Cash at the door and Electronic Funds Transfer are all acceptable forms of payments. We no longer accept cheques. Some credit card companies may impose a “Transaction Fee” even though your transaction is denominated in CND. dollars. This is an arbitrary fee that occurs in a small number of cases and accrues entirely to the credit card–issuing bank. MGS does not control these bank-imposed fees nor does MGS derive any benefit from them, monetary or otherwise; we are therefore unable to accept responsibility for the fees.

BOOKINGS

Booking is defined as when a client books their appointment on line. Bookings are on a first come first serve basis and will be determined by the incoming emails date. A booking is not an appointment but shall indicate the desired appointment date, which MGS gives no guarantee but shall try to stay as close to that date as possible.

MISSED APPOINTMENTS

A missed appointment is defined as in the case of deal site clients; there is no coupon or HST available to us. In the case of direct clients no payment is available. MGS will leave behind a missed appointment notice and there will be imposed a $10 rebooking fee, to rebook another appointment. In the case of Deal site clients the coupon will be marked as used and further bookings are at the discretion of MGS and must be prepaid. In the case of direct clients their will be a rebooking fee of $10 and all services must be prepaid.

DEPOSITS/FINAL PAYMENT

All jobs in excess of the value of $200 shall be paid out in the following manner; 25% of the total booking at the time of the booking. A further 25%.the day of the appointment before the work commences. A final payment of 50% is due when the work is completed. The client understands and acknowledges each transaction will be subject to the PAYMENT POLICY guidelines.

ACTS OF GOD, STRIKE, OR OTHER

MGS Cleaning Solutions, Inc. shall not be liable for delay or inability to perform any service herein or any part thereof caused by or arising out of strikes, lockout or labor difficulties. Whether in the form of rain, snow, hail, sleet will stop us from performing our duties safely and is subject to rebooking at no additional expense to the client.

COPYRIGHTS

Unless otherwise expressly noted, MGS Cleaning Solutions is the copyright owner or licensee of the Materials, and the Materials are protected by worldwide copyright laws and treaty provisions. You may not reproduce, distribute, display, perform, or prepare derivative works from any of the Materials except with MGS Cleaning Solutions prior written permission. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. Any unauthorized use of the Materials may violate copyright, trademark and other applicable laws and could result in criminal or civil penalties.

TRADEMARKS

The trademarks, service marks, trade names and logos (the “Trademarks”) appearing in this brochure are trademarks and registered trademarks of MGS Cleaning Solutions. A partial list of the Trademarks owned by MGS Cleaning Solutions is set out below. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners. If you are unsure whether a trademark, service mark, trade name or logo not on the list is the property of MGS Cleaning Solutions, please contact us at 647-932-5849. MGS Cleaning Solutions vigilantly enforces its intellectual property rights and will actively seek the recovery of any costs and/or damages it may incur in stopping the misuse or misappropriation of its intellectual property.

TRADEMARKS

WINDOWS SO CLEAN YOU'LL NEED SUNGLASSES ©2013, MGS Cleaning Solutions.: all copy, diagrams, visual content and original photography. Select photos are licensed. All rights reserved.